Re: gzip or bzip2 on boot floppies??

Vaidhyanathan Mayilrangam wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I wonder if we would be having bzip2 or gzip on the boot floppies.. All the
> network modules compiled takes about 1.3M, but compresssed with bzip2 , needs
> only 435K.. The size of bzip2 + libbz2.so is about 85K.. We can probably do the
> same with the initrd image.. That can save us quite some space..
>
> I would appreciate your inputs..
>
> Regards.
> Vaidhy

gzip is available in busybox, im pretty sure the boot floppies would
have it compiled in by default.

gunzip only adds about 13KB (i think) to busybox's size, so thats cheap,
but bzip2 would have to be supplied seperatly.

bzip2 could be usefull if the difference between the modules gziped and
bziped is more than bzip2's size.

initrd will be gziped

Glenn