Re: PCI autodetection

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 07:22:41PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> > That would be cool.  You wanna patch dbootstrap -- we could even make
> > that conditional on the pci stuff being there at all..
>
> I'm in the midst of building a patch to dboostrap now.  I'll throw in a
> check to see if /proc/bus/pci exists, and if not we'll skip the "do you
> want to autodetect PCI devices" question altogether.
>
> > Please don't commit into mainstream boot-floppies yet -- it needs more
> > help.
>
> No prob.  I'll send the patch to this list when it's done.
>
> > While you're at it -- perhaps you could try to come up with some
> > patches against xviddetect so it knows about more cards?  It really
>
> I'll look at it.  I'm using a table of device->driver mappings I stole
> from RH 6.2, so unless it has the X info, I don't.
>
> > If you're not a Debian maintainer, I'm happy to do NMU's against

Well, it looks like everybody's doing the same thing at the same time.

At Progeny, Joseph Carter has been developing a libdetect based program
called "discover" which spits out the correct X server (for 3.x) or X
server and driver (for 4.x) given the PCI info.

I'm writing a program called "dexter" (for Debian X server configurator)
which uses this information if it is present.

I don't know when Joseph plans to submit his discover program to Debian,
but dexter (and modified xserver-* postinst scripts to take advantage of
it) will be showing up in phase2v14.

Dexter is presently feature-complete for Progeny's purposes.  Also, I'm
deliberately doing things in such a way that there is no need for a fork
between Progeny's X packages and Debian's.  If Dexter doesn't find
/var/state/discover/video, it prompts the user for the server (or
server+driver) to use, which isn't really worse than the present way of
doing things.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |     It doesn't matter what you are doing,
Debian GNU/Linux                |     emacs is always overkill.