Re: instalation fails - won't recognize my Hard Drive

its not that it wont recognize the hdd it wont recognize the controller
there is a boot disk with ide patches on it see your CD for it or the
debian distribution site. it may work it may not ..

from the asus page it looks like that board also has 2 DMA33 controllers
i'd suggest moving the drive to the other controller for installation,
then compile a kernel that supports your controller(www.linux-ide.org) and
move the drive back.

nate