My keyboard is on steroids during installation, alas....

Hi all,

one problem that I've found when I first attempted to
install Debian in 1998 and now that I'm trying once
again is what I call the "keyboard on steroids"
problem.  Can you tell me if, when I begin
installation,  can I have someone enter the command

kbdrate -r 2 -d 2000

to slow things down?   A corollary to the ks problem
is that, though manipulations to speed are possible
in, say, KDE,  and even though your manipulations are
remembered the next time that you're in KDE, THEY
WON'T BE REMEMBERED WHEN YOU'RE JUST REBOOTING!

I'm told that I can manipulate the kernel in boot
floppy form, but I need information about where to
begin.
I'm physically disabled with a progressively
degenerative neurological disorder.  3 years ago,  I
encountered this problem and couldn't get it solved,
so where can I get the necessary information?  Oh, and
by the way, has there been any progress on a voice
recognition package for Debian that is open source?

=====
Bonne chance,
Mark W. Dickson, http://members.home.net/mdickson/me.html
"Our own morality is full of taboos. There are all sorts,
even in the most August things. Now there is one sin
 definitely recognised to be a sin, which I have never
committed. It says, 'Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's
Ox.' Now I never have." _Bertrand Russell Speaks His Mind_