Re: redesigning the debian installer

In riva.lists.debian.boot, you wrote:
>> I think I'm confused -- what's to stop a text-based config database
>> from being used for automated installs?  I can think of a few good
>> reasons to have non-textual databases having to do with searching and
>> indexing, but unless the config file is huge (> 100KB) I can't think
>> of any legitimate reason to use anything other than text.
>
>nothing. what i meant to say is there's flexibility in that the sysadmin
>can either edit a text file to put a "script" for the automated install
>on the install source media (floppy or what not), or they can have a
>"configuration database" on their network some place, so that coupled
>with, f.i., a dhcp server, they have essentially a centralized install
>mechanism.

An important element of support for profiles, which would say things like
  "install extra package foo"
  "pave my disk like so"
  "save my Windows partition"
is, IMHO, a mechanism by which the system may automaticly determine *which*
profile to use, based on host identification information such as
  "how much RAM/storage/etc does the machine have"
  "does this host bear MAC/IP address such and such"
I started some code for this .. I'll dig it up; can't remember how far I
got.

Mk