about ui of the installation

from cvs.debian.org

> The Installer UI
> ----------------

[snip]

> After the kernel boots up, the first thing the user will see is whatever UI
> is being used, configuring itself. This is equivalent to the current
> installer asking if the screen supports color, and keyboard configuration.

i'd prefer to choose the ui before proceed with any other step

> It might also include language selection, mouse setup, etc. All up the
> individual UI. [ Language selection may do better as a seperate module and
> step, though. ]
>
> Once the UI is configured, the user will see a list of every step in the
> install process, with a proposed next step, and an alternate next step, at
> the top. This is very similar to how the installer works now. We have
> observed that this layout gives the user a great deal of flexibility, which
> is very useful if something goes wrong and they have to run steps out of
> order for some reason, or repeat a step. However, we also anticipate that
> people might not want to see this menu, and would rather go through a

<strong>people might not want to see this menu</strong>

> rigidly linear install process. Therefore, this menu will be a debconf
> question asked at priority "medium", and so it might not actually be
> displayed.

  priority: low (debian maniacs)
            medium (advanced users)
            high (default)
            critical (distribution reviewers :) )
            pre-answered (laboratory administrators and the like)

[snip]

> Implementation
> --------------
>
> If only one UI is available on the install media, it will automatically be
> used. If more than one UI is available, they will be prioritized, and each
> will be configured. If one fails to configure, the next on the list is tried,
> until one succeeds.

i'm already seeing my monitor that flickers without any control :)

> UI's will be impelemnted as some kind of loadable module for the debconf
> implementation used by the installer. Implementation to be determined.
>
> Each item in the main menu is provided by an installer module. Installer
> modules indicate that they want to appear on the menu by including the
> following special flag in their control file:
>
> 	Installer-Menu-Item: nnn
>
> Where nnn is a priority number. The priority number influsences the
> ordering of items in the menu; higher numbered items are closer to the
> end of the menu. If this field does not appear, a module will not
> appear on the main menu.

might other modules, maybe wanting to be showed in the manu, depend on this
kind of packages? is it reasonable to think such a need? this would brake
the ordering scheme.

> Dependencies also influence the position of a module in the menu. A module
> will never appear before another module which it (directly or indirectly)
> depends on. Behaviour of circular dependances is undefined.
>

> The short description of the module is used as the text for its menu item.
the long description of the module is the and extensive help a user might
request in order to better understand what is going on.

> When a menu item is selected, the module that provides it is configured if
> it is not already configured (ie, if it is just unpacked onto the ramdisk).
> If it is already configured, it is reconfigured -- its postinst script is
> run again.
>
> However, dependencies are honored before this configuration takes place. So
> if a module depends on two other modules, and it is selected, both of those
> modules will first be installed and configured (if they arn't already).
>
> Note that if a module depends on a virtual package, and more than one
> package is available to satisfy that dependancy, and none of them are
> configured yet, the installer will generate a submenu listing the candidate
> packages and let the user chose which to use. The submenu is generated
> and ordered similarly to main menu. (TODO: what do we use for the
> title and some help for the submenu?)

if the virtual *module* is named ui_something.deb the help hint and the detailed
help could be from ui-help_something.deb which, implicitly, any package providing
*that* virtual module will depend on.

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
  --[ get my public gpg key at http://www.freeweb.org/free/cavok/gpgkey.asc
 -----[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50