Re: bad press at www.linuxworld.com

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 07:07:51PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> C'mon -- I'd have to throw the bozo bit on this guy completely
> ignoring Potato.  I agree with Dale and I'm the last to say Potato
> installation is perfect -- but when it works, it works pretty damn
> well, no need to run dselect or any of that.  When it doesn't work,
> it's hell.

The guy's a bozo.  I hadn't run the potato installer for a few months
until today.  A friend at work decided he had a few spare gigs.  We had
no CDs handy but we had a network.  We had the system (i386) installed
an hour later.  That included time to decide to use the idepci flavor
(quick look at the docs here), burn the floppies (only needed rescue
and root[1]), and do some disk partitioning for a future multi-boot setup.
The driver/base install over the net was really slick.  I was somewhat
used to seeing a nice network install with a sparc tftpboot but hadn't
seen anything this nice for i386 before.  You guys did a great job!

Thanks to everyone who contributed,
Steve

[1] Thought we'd need driver disk too, from the docs, and burned it.
Didn't need it.  The docs weren't perfect but erred in the direction of
not leaving us a disk short nor explaining a lot of if-then-else cases.
The time saved not reading all the extra text more than made up for the
time to burn the extra floppy so I don't want to call this a doc bug.
Or maybe I just missed something since we rather flew over instructions.

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)
Buckeye, AZ   <sbowman@goodnet.com> <bowmanc@acm.org>