Re: FWD: mostly UI issues (Re: redesigning the debian installer)

[ People keep replying to me privately. I hope you don't mind that I'm
replying to the list. ]

Michael S. Fischer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 01:02:22PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Oh, if we're in linear mode and something goes wrong, we could simply
> > leave linear mode. "You broke it, you fix it."
>
> This is what Red Hat's kickstart procedure does--returns control to
> the user if an error occurs during the unattended installation.  I
> think it's fine, provided good diagnostic information is available.

Ok, I was wondering about this. Maybe an automatic install mode can deal
with _some_ error conditions, but it does seem sometimes you just have
to throw up your hands and scream for help. Or give up and say the
install failed. And the latter seems a much better call.

> One of the things I really hate about Red Hat's installer, though, is
> that there's no way to escape to a shell during an installation if
> you're on the serial console.  It does have shell-on-virtual-terminal
> support, which is all fine and dandy if you're on headed machine, but
> if you're headless, you're SOL.

How does our installer handle this now? I've not had the opportunity to
do a serial install of debian, ever.

--
see shy jo