Re: bad press at www.linuxworld.com

On 14 Sep 00, at 18:00, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> This is a pretty nasty review of the installer
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-09/lw-09-vcontrol_2.html

I must say I am not a novice but I am still a bit fresh in the linux-
world.  I have installed many distros and most of them are much
easier (less steps) than debian but over all, it's fine.  I am up and
running -- a hit on the first pitch.  Sure, some things are a bit
confusing, especially the gpm stuff, and I had a problem with X but
I realized somewhere the proper vid driver wasn't installed so I
installed it with apt.  Yeah, a pure novice won't get it.  But let me
tell you, I know a lot more of what my system is doing with debian
because of the install than I did when I tried mandrake, redhat and
the like.
The install doesn't suck, though, if you do what debian says and a)
backup everything and b)write down any and all information about
your machine that you can (hardware, cpu, etc...).  If yo do this,
you will have no problem getting through the install and the end-
result is well worth the wait.
My $.02.
Todd
Todd Witter