Re: redesigning the debian installer

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 07:57:23PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Dan Helfman wrote:
> > Not to mention confidence in x86 hardware..
>
> Well that made me realize the big thing we've missed in this hardware
> detection discussion so far: what about other architectures?
>
> (I'm not a multi-arch kind of guy, so I occasinally need to be reminded
> to consider them..)
>
> Is hardware detection needed much in other architectures? None of them
> have the same proliferation of crappy hardware as the x86 world. I guess
> everything we've discussed about PCI hardware applies to alphas too.
> Anything else on other architectures that needs to be detected?

Most everything under UltraSPARC is either PCI, or it's built into the
kernel (standard hardware). In fact, 90% of UltraSPARC installs do not
need to load a single module to get enough functionality for an install.
This includes all supported SCSI, ethernet and IDE drivers.

As for SPARC, it doesn't have PCI, but again the standard hardware is
built into the kernel, so no need for hardware detection here.

There are so few needed drivers for SPARC/UltraSPARC (no wacked out
"only-one-person-owns-it" type of hardware), that it was possible to
compile most of them into the kernel directly and still fit on the rescue
disk.