Re: newbie question concerning linux install

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > > Well, it's quite possible if he's got a 3rd-party IDE controller card,
> > > say for ATA/66 or ATA/100.
> >
> > Several of the new Asus MB's actually have four IDE devices built in.
>
> That's intriguing -- by "devices" I presume you mean "channels"?  (Two
> devices to a channel).  Are the 3rd and 4th channels only available via the
> PCI bus?  If not I smell serious IRQ shortage.

Theoretically, you should be able to connect 8 ide HDs.

ABIT KA7-100 is another example of MB with 4 ide controllers.

  http://www.casema.net/~howland/ka7faq/ka7faq.htm

It has a Highpoint HPT370 ide RAID 0/1.

  http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370faq.htm

Cheers,
Cristian

--
I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education. -- Wilson Mizner