hdc: lost interrupt and very slow installation

I have just been installing potato into a new partition (created with fips)
on an i386. I keep getting the warning message hdc: lost interrupt. the
installation has taken ages: about 1 hour each for the kernel and base
installation. Surely this is not what you expect?

Are the 2 symptoms connected. What is the cause? I booted from the
installation CD in /dev/hdc. I can still/always read from it. Apart from
the slowness and continual messages, all seems fine!

I have:

430TX motherboard, 64Mb SDRAM
Harddrive on /dev/hda
CDROM on /dev/hdc
Yamaha 4416 CD rewriter on /dev/hdd

Since the install is done I have not had any problems and the install of
packages with dselect has gone fast.

Hope you have a suggestion

Mark