Re: not i18ned part in b-f 2.2.15

Hi.

 (Akira is the main hacker for ja version of boot-floppies in
  JP packages, i.e. bo-jp, hamm-jp, slink-jp.  And he is one
  of main hackers in locale development for ja on glibc2.)

In <[🔎] 20000704225914.3986a4a7.yosshy@debian.or.jp>,
 at "Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:59:14 +0900",
 with "not i18ned part in b-f 2.2.15",
  Akira YOSHIYAMA <yosshy@debian.or.jp> writes:

> I found that installed fresh base system (dbootstrap
> installed it and just rebooted) isn't i18ned because of
> dpkg-reconfigure and init.
> In the current b-f, boot-config and dpkg-reconfigure
> have basic system configurations of fresh Debian.
> boot-config and dpkg-reconfigure (debconf)
> are i18ned, but init runs dpkg-reconfigure directly
> in the case. So no one set envronment variables
> (include LANG,LC_MESSAGES, and LC_ALL)
> normally set by shells and dpkg-reconfigure show us
> only english messages. Do you wish this?

The current source for this is in
  scripts/rootdisk/prototype/etc/inittab.install

and this has

 1:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure base-config </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&

So dpkg-reconfigure is invoked by init with this line in /etc/inittab
on the fresh installed base system.

If our bf-utf8 will be completed, we may need to change this
in order to invoke the bterm and run the dpkg-reconfigure on that.

So if we can use some shell script (or else) here, and write
the required process (setting appropriate variables, and invoke
the dpkg-reconfigure and base-config, or so) in it, then it will
make it easy for us to adopt the bf-utf8 some day.

How do you think ?

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>