missing IDE devices for m68k?

Hi,
an Amiga user has some wierd problem with the boot-floppies, I hope[1] this is
due to missing IDE devices.
I checked base2_2.tgz, there are no hdc and hdd devices, but there are hde,
hdf, hdg, hdh.
Do these two have to be added in the m68k section in basedisks.sh?
In "generic" only hde-hdh are listed, I wonder where hda and hdb then come
from?
i386 also has no hdc and hdd listed... nor do I see on first glance where hda
and hdb are created, in lowmemrd.sh? I think we dropped that for m68k.

[1]: I hope that his problems are due to this, since I am out of clues
otherwise. He did a successfull install, but when trying to boot the
installed system, the system has weird problems after the root partition is
mounted (twice somehow). I _think_ during the initial install, all devices
are there (his CD-Rom is on hdc or hdd, the HDD he installs to is hde). But
later, the CD device is missing, can this cause the kernel to go wild?

request_module[binfmt-0000]: fork failed, errno 11
request_module[binfmt-0000]: fork failed, errno 11
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-0000, errno = 8
[...]

Christian