`viewcvs' (Was: Re: [dbootstrap] `newt' and `boxes.c', `bogl' and `bowl'[, `???' and `boxeX.c'?])

    Ben> karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:
    >> I'll try to keep in mind that there needs to be a generic interface
    >> that can be implemented by other GUI frontends, in the way that
    >> `boxes.c' and `bowl' do it now.  I'm going to break things on purpose
    >> though, just for the freedom of it.  I'll do a newt interface, if I
    >> can, and not worry too much about `bogl' for now.

    Ben> Worrying about BOGL is probably a waste of time.  AFAIK no work
    Ben> has been done on it in a long time.  I agree that your approach
    Ben> is probably the best.

 Ok.  I'll start learning `newt' soon.

 I've been side-tracked most of today with a `dist-upgrade' on
 BitterSweet.  I've brought it forward to `Woody', and have a drive in
 a removable rack for the other (as yet un-named) machine, which I
 will keep pure `Potato'.

 I'm goofing with `viewcvs'.  It's a clone of `cvsweb' written in
 Python.  I think we should install it on `cvs.debian.org' in place of
 `cvsweb', since it can do the annotation feature without needing
 writes to "history", etc.

 It's also got a checkin database thing, where every commit is logged
 to a MySQL database, and you can query that via a web interface...  I
 haven't looked into that much yet.

 In order to do the transition from `cvsweb' to `viewcvs' I made some
 Apache rewrite rules...  Hmmm.  I guess since it's the home page for
 `cvs.debian.org' anyway, there's no big deal changing over.  The two
 programs are functionally identical.  As long as `www-data' has no
 writes on any repository, the repository is safe, even if there's a
 security bug of some kind in `viewcvs'.