Re: [PROBLEM] in 2.2.15 busybox tar

Quoting Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 01:52:43PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > I've discovered a problem in the tar in busybox with boot-floppies 2.2.15.
> > I tested with busybox-tar and GNU tar, and it is defenitely in busybox.
> > For some reason it is making ./ mode 644 (even though in the base2_2.tgz
> > tarball it is 755). This basically means that users are getting a / with
> > 644 (-x) perms. I've only seen this on sparc, but the fact that is in
> > busybox leads me to believe it is not sparc specific. Concerns me that it
> > is not being seen elsewhere.
> >
> > I'll look and see where this is coming from though, unless some others can
> > check into it.
>
> Ok, I put some printf() statements in tar.c to see what was going on. It
> looks like there is a more serious issue involved, and sparc is just
> triggering it in a way that shows. The printf's I added were right before

Yup.  I would be happy to backport the 0.44 version of BusyBox tar for
the bootfloppies, and then let folks hammer on it.  I know from
experience that this new version is _MUCH_ more stable, and much
more robust.  I use it all the time now on my embedded boxes here
at work.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/