Re: ordering of topics in welcome.sgml

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Othmar Pasteka wrote:

> hi,
>
> On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 01:57:46AM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > > 1.1 What is Debian GNU?
> > > 1.2 What is Linux?
> > > 1.3 What is Hurd?
> >
> > Hmmm, that should be "Debian" and "GNU/Linux", or "Debian", "GNU", and
> > "Linux"... otherwise you are going to confuse a whole lot of new users.
>
> probably, but nevertheless there will be no Debian system without
> a GNU. so adding a subchapter "What is GNU?" would be good if
> people want to tell people what gnu exactly is.

My difficulty with "Debian GNU" is that I think of Debian as an
organization, and GNU as a set of software tools; I see "Debian GNU" as
mixing up two different categories of things.  The GNU site does a good
job of explaining what GNU is, perhaps a brief summary and a link to the
GNU site is appropriate.

> > Why Hurd?  Aside from not being released, will it even be incorporated
> > into the Linux `boot-floppies', or will it have an installer of its own?
>
> as i already posted ... even if there is no support in
> boot-floppies or whatever, imho it doesn't hurt, but if it isn't
> needed and whoever grees, just delete it from en/welcome.sgml ...

<I think>
1.1 should be "What is Debian", and include bits about the
FSF, GNU project, etc., primarily organization related stuff.
1.2 should be "What is GNU/Linux", and be technology orientated.
1.3 could be "What else is there", and mention Hurd, the BSD
port (is it far enough along to even mention?), and whatever other
activities Debian Developers are involved in (standards work groups,
expos, laying the ground work for world domination, etc.).
welcome.sgml should be a brief but complete introduction to Debian +
references/links to more detailed information.
</I think>

later,

	Bruce