Re: Mass install / Autoinstall (Was: Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.)

First, I'm trimming the CCs, which are insane...

Jeremy Hansen <jeremy@xxedgexx.com> writes:

> Most of the answers I've been getting on this subject seem like total
> hacks, which may work but really are tricks to doing this.  I was really
> looking for something within debian that's built to do "kickstart" type
> installations.

There are two mechanismisms for this.  Neither is yet fully
implemented nor automated.

The first is debconf.  It supports an unattended mode and presetting
of its database with config values.  Debconf is not yet fully used in
the distro.

The second is dpkg --get-selections and dpkg --set-selections, which
can be used to get and set the list of pacakges to install,
respectively.  These two mechanisms should theoretically provide the
kickstart functionality.