2.2.12/3 Install fails loading smc-ultra

I tried installing using boot-floppies 2.2.12, 1.44
rescue.bin and root.bin, base and drivers tgz.

I ran into the modules.conf problem, so I copied modules to
modules.conf to fix that, but smc-ultra fails with
init_module: device or resource busy

I tried 2.2.13-pre-0427, no problems, but smc-ultra still
fails with the same error. I tried different options
for the command line with no success, trying a modprobe
on another tty had the same results.

I have an existing Potato install on my 486dx4-120 w/16mb
and a recompiled 2.2.14 kernel which loads the smc-ultra
module for eth0: io=0x280,irq=10 and eth1: io=0x300,irq=11,
using the /etc/modutils/aliases, /etc/modules.conf files.

Of interesting Note: when I select reboot from the menu,
and lilo boots my existing potato install, smc-ultra
fails to load eth0 or eth1. A reboot and -reset- seems
to solve this issue. However a a cold boot does not
change the 2.2.12/3 install's loading of smc-ultra.

This is the only problem I noticed... :)

Is there something I'm missing, cause without my netcard,
I'd have to download the iso, and recompile, etc to get
smc-ultra to load (did this once already for 0330 floppies).

wow.. I'm going to bed now...

Kevin Gourley
qkev@cr385169-a.rchrd1.on.wave.home.com