Boot Floppy Creation Failure

I tried to test a fresh potato install, but have not been able to
create a boot floppy.

I have tried a dozen floppies from several sources on two different
machines (both i386 laptops, but different brands) and they always
failed at the same spot.  The format works fine, then "Creating file
system" is displayed for less than a second before a boot floppy
creation error message is displayed.  This happens for 2.2.{9,11,12}
disks.

I then tried with slink (2.1.9-1999-03-03 disks) and successfully
created several boot floppies using the very same floppies that failed
with the potato install.

Any ideas?

Has anyone successfully created boot floppies recently?

Kirk Hilliard

FWIW, a pair of old floppies did legitimately fail at different points
during the format, but all the rest formatted fine and then failed at
exactly the same point at the very start of the file system creation.