Re: 2.2.12 bf on athlon 600

At 03:49 +0200 2000-04-27, Othmar Pasteka wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 06:12:53PM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
>> er, RTFM ;-) you can't "detect" amount of RAM really, if you have an older
>> bios (most modern bios don't require params) I'm not sure what we can do
>> except say that people should read the lilo docs (which BF already tells you
>> to do.)
>well i don't think the K7M from asus has old bioses on board :).
>well i don't know that much about hardware detecting so was some
>wild explanation. the problem with ram only arises with this
>athlon system. iirc when i set up a pentium and/or alpha system
>the amount of ram was correctly detected by the kernel.
>
>*hmm*, i don't know, but if i have 128mb of ram and just 64 mb is
>detected and this "problem" could be common then it would be
>useful if this is explicitly mentioned in the docs. maybe i
>misunderstand the whole issue then tell me more (or not and i die
>as a dumb person ;)).

This will be common on BIOSes that are too *new*.
There are three different BIOS memory reporting interfaces in common
existence: the one that stops at 64MB, e802, and e820.
2.2 kernels only know of the first and second of those, the problem is that
some new BIOSes support only the first and third interface.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>