Re: Script in base disks?

> Greg Schafer <gschafer@zip.com.au> writes:
>
> > Looks like someone removed the bsdutils package which contains
> > the 'script' utility from "scripts/basedisks/PACKAGES_all".
> >
> > Script is heaps useful for capturing the output of apt-get runs
> > on initial installs etc.
> >
> > It's only a tiny package. Could we please put it back in?
>
> I don't get it.  What's the point?  It's not a supported operation to
> invoke this prior to running tasksel and/or dselect.  And you could
> just install it yourself after base is installed...

I agree with Greg Schafer. Script should be available in the base system.
The fact that that the current installation doesn't support saving the
apt-get messages, which IMHO is a lack by itself, is not a valid reason
for removing it from base.

My automatic debian installer needs script to capture the complete log of
package installation and configuration messages. If scripts is missing
the auto-installation would not be possible because one would have to
stop it and install script manually before apt-get is run.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |