Re: Can you try to do video=vc:3-5 ? (Re: Mitsumi CD and penguin logo on compact boot disks)

Hallo,

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 12:16:44AM +0900, Taketoshi Sano wrote:
>    a) In `vi' (elvis-tiny) the first five lines are always
>       garbled, also sometimes in `less' etc.

I did file bug reports against elvis-tiny (bug#62720) and
less (don't know the number).

>    b) Worse, the xserver-svga seems to have problems when
>       switching from the uncommon 30x80 to graphics mode,
>       when you have an ET4000/W32P chip.  This is already
>       documented in README.Tseng or so.

>From /usr/share/doc/xserver-common/README.tseng.gz:

"XFree86 has some problems getting the clock selection
right with some ET4000 boards when the server is started
from a high-resolution text mode.  The clock selection is
always correct when the server is started from a standard
80x25 text mode."

I don't know much about the framebuffer device, but is it
possible to have a kernel on the boot disc, that uses fb,
but without the penguin logo and w/ 80x25 instead of 80x30?
Or does using fb mean, I always have a higher
discrimination?

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>