Please try "linux video=vc:8" (Re: Can you try to do video=vc:3-5 ?)

Hi.

 at "Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:46:36 +0000",
  "W. Borgert" <debacle@knorke.in-berlin.de> writes:

> >    b) Worse, the xserver-svga seems to have problems when
> >       switching from the uncommon 30x80 to graphics mode,
> >       when you have an ET4000/W32P chip.  This is already
> >       documented in README.Tseng or so.
>
> >From /usr/share/doc/xserver-common/README.tseng.gz:
>
> "XFree86 has some problems getting the clock selection
> right with some ET4000 boards when the server is started
> from a high-resolution text mode.  The clock selection is
> always correct when the server is started from a standard
> 80x25 text mode."

Well, I don't know if this can be applied.

The documentation for frame buffer Xserver is
 /usr/doc/xserver-common/README.fbdev.gz,
and the Xserver for frame buffer device is xserver-fbdev.

You can also check "man fbset". It is written that you can
get some information with "fbset -v -fb /dev/fb0 vga" or
"fbset -iv -fb /dev/fb0". Have you tried them ?

> I don't know much about the framebuffer device, but is it
> possible to have a kernel on the boot disc, that uses fb,
> but without the penguin logo and w/ 80x25 instead of 80x30?

Please try "linux video=vc:8" at the boot prompt, and report
the result with xserver-svga. This may keep the screen from
changed into frame buffer mode for tty1 - tty7.

> Or does using fb mean, I always have a higher
> discrimination?

You can use normal virtual console (not in the frame buffer mode)
with "linux video=vc:7" at the "boot:" prompt.
What I wish to know is if it can do work with xserver-svga.
I think that "video=vc:6" is insufficient for X, and you may need
"video=vc:8", but I can't test it since I don't have machines to
test it on now. Please try using "linux video=vc:8".

If you have tried it, then please let us know the result. Thanks.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>