Re: Draft Installation Chapter

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> writes:

> At 04:07 PM 4/21/00, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >"Ross Boylan" <rboylan@mindspring.com> writes:
> > > <chapt id="install-methods">Methods for Installing Debian
> > > You can install Debian from a variety of sources, both local (CD, hard
> > > disk, floppies) and remote (ftp, NFS, ppp, the web).

> >I don't know if it's appropriate to say PPP because you can't install
> >base that way.

> What would be best would be an example of a network, not file-system,
> module which could be used to install base, but which is not loaded unless
> you load it.  I know PPP doesn't qualify, and I think IP is already
> there.  NFS is borderline between network and file system.  So I'm  open to
> suggestions.

Any modules in the 'net' section.  For instance, for my idepci flavor
kernel I'm using now, the 3c509 module.

> The other thing is that, from the users point of view, much of the
> installation happens after the base system is installed--namely the
> selection, installation, and configuration of packages.  And PPP is
> relevant there.

True.

> A minor point, but CD's seems a more conventional usage to me.  Apostrophes
> have uses beyond the possessive.  Harbrace College Handbook, 10th edition,
> pp. 145-146 (Use the apostrophe and s to form certain plurals) indicates
> either CD or CD's is appropriate.  If one used periods, only C.D.'s would do.

Actually, well, it's best for consistency.  I think we say 'CD-ROM' in
most places.  I don't know how I pluralized it.

> >Are you working out of CVS?  Are you doing commits?  Are you expecting
> >us to commit it?

> I'm using anonymous CVS and expecting others to commit.  I am
> reluctant to commit myself, since I'm not sure if what I'm saying is
> right.  Also, I don't have the necessary authorization.

I can give out authorization, but it's also perfectly fine for you to
submit diffs to the email list and I or someone else will commit them.

> I anticipate most of the changes will be in chapter 5 (Installation
> Methods) with a few changes to 4 and 6.

Ok -- I'm going thru right now and fixing all file names.

Any help would be good.