Re: Draft Installation Chapter

At 03:38 PM 4/22/00, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> writes:

> At 04:07 PM 4/21/00, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >"Ross Boylan" <rboylan@mindspring.com> writes:
> > > <chapt id="install-methods">Methods for Installing Debian
> > > You can install Debian from a variety of sources, both local (CD, hard
> > > disk, floppies) and remote (ftp, NFS, ppp, the web).

> >I don't know if it's appropriate to say PPP because you can't install
> >base that way.

> What would be best would be an example of a network, not file-system,
> module which could be used to install base, but which is not loaded unless
> you load it.  I know PPP doesn't qualify, and I think IP is already
> there. NFS is borderline between network and file system. So I'm open to
> suggestions.

Any modules in the 'net' section.  For instance, for my idepci flavor
kernel I'm using now, the 3c509 module.

Oops--I left out that I was looking for a protocol, not a hardware driver.

> A minor point, but CD's seems a more conventional usage to me. Apostrophes
> have uses beyond the possessive.  Harbrace College Handbook, 10th edition,
> pp. 145-146 (Use the apostrophe and s to form certain plurals) indicates
> either CD or CD's is appropriate. If one used periods, only C.D.'s would do.

Actually, well, it's best for consistency.  I think we say 'CD-ROM' in
most places.  I don't know how I pluralized it.

OK, I yield on this point.

> >Are you working out of CVS?  Are you doing commits?  Are you expecting
> >us to commit it?

> I'm using anonymous CVS and expecting others to commit.  I am
> reluctant to commit myself, since I'm not sure if what I'm saying is
> right.  Also, I don't have the necessary authorization.

I can give out authorization, but it's also perfectly fine for you to
submit diffs to the email list and I or someone else will commit them.

Hmm, things are getting sticky. I see Clay Ginsberg is working on the same chapter as I am, and you say you will be making changes their as well. Fortunately I am at home and have a functional potato, so I can stay up to date. But maybe it would be better if we all just submitted our changes instead of having them all floating around the list and the net. Since you've committed Clay's changes, I'll pick them up with cvs.

> I anticipate most of the changes will be in chapter 5 (Installation
> Methods) with a few changes to 4 and 6.

Ok -- I'm going thru right now and fixing all file names.

Any help would be good.

P.S. I'm still wondering if the reference to a numbered element in a list will work, or if the references only work to larger units like sections and pages. Also, it occurs to me that perhaps the correct form is " as indicated in <ref id=xxx>" rather than "as indicated in step <ref id=xxx>". That is, I should omit the work "step" because the reference machinery knows to fill that in (the ref syntax is from memory, and may not be accurate).