Re: What depends on slang?

Michael Sobolev <mss@transas.com> writes:

> The reason I am asking is very simple: static linking to libnewt and libslang
> adds only 60K to dbootstrap and whiptail.  Shared newt and slang libraries give
> more than 400K.  As newt's use of slang is very special, when static linking
> to both of them, libm just do not get it.  This is another 110K.

Hm, I'm not quite sure what you mean there.

> So I would like to see what I miss. :)  Please help.

Actually, that's why we have library reduction:

[dhd@curacao]:~/src/debian/boot-floppies$ ls -l /floppy/lib/libslang.so.1.3.9 /floppy/lib/libnewt.so.0.50
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        87512 Apr 21 14:05 /floppy/lib/libnewt.so.0.50
-rw-r--r--    2 root     root       130616 Apr 21 14:05 /floppy/lib/libslang.so.1.3.9

(and actually, we don't reduce libnewt - probably because *AHEM* the
maintainer never incorporated my patch to build a libnewt-pic
... though it doesn't save us much)

But you've got a point.  Perhaps it should be an option to link them
statically on architectures (sparc and powerpc) where library
reduction doesn't work.  And in fact it might be a win everywhere at
this point.

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.223.0225 mobile