modprobe: can't open /target/etc/modules.conf

I'm installing from boot floppies that I just built.  I did `cvs
update' at about 11 April 01:00 UTC.

In the course of installing, I chose to install a module, as I always
do.  (It's pcnet32.o, which works with the "virtual network card" in
the VMware "virtual machine" that I use.)  After choosing that module
and hitting Enter, I expected to see a screen with a few lines of
text, one of which says something like "module installation
succeeded".  (That's what I've seen for each of the dozens of times
that I've installed before.)  This time, though, I saw

        modprobe: can't open /target/etc/modules.conf

and 'module installation failed'.

Sure enough, there isn't any file with that name.

Unfortunately I don't what else would be useful to report, but I'll
preserve the system as it is for a while, and if anyone wants more
information I'd be glad to give it.