Re: LS120/Zip install update

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 07:39:42AM -0700, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > windows at least has option to threat removeable medias as super floppies, at
> > least it wanted to do so on my partitioned syjet.
> >
> > anyway, what do i have use of some non linux os anyway, i just do :
> >
> > mount /dev/sdb /syjet, and everything is fine ...
> >
> > > want to be mountable on OSs that don't understand ext2. Plus I'd suspect
> > > most zip-bootable BIOS's will look specifically for partition 4 anyway
> > > (it's set up like that so macOS can see FAT-formatted zip disks)
> >
> > maybe for the ZIPs since that is the way iomega choose stuff, not sure about
> > ls120 and other removeable medias.
>
> ls120 is treated as a floppy in terms of partitioning: none. You can
> partition an ls120, but I don't think you can then read it on any other
> OS.

Well on linux :

mount -t vfat /dev/sda /ls120, if your ls120 is the first scsi device.

> zips use partition 4 because on macOS, the first three partitions are
> reserved for system use, and macOS couldn't use PC-format disks without
> the partition being 4. Don't know if MacOS x is smarter.

but i guess with proper use of dd to clean it, and then writing a proper vfat
filesystem on it, you could handle it as a super floppy also.

> > > Plus, I've seen a few systems where the zip shows up as /dev/hdc instead
> > > of /dev/hdc4. Same internal ATAPI zip drive, same kernel version (2.2.14
> > > from the install) and same zip disk. I mean, I don't know why it does
> > > that.
> >
> > because the zip was formated as super floppy under windows ?
>
> There's another thread about this now.

> > > Thought the syjet was a removable media hard drive, not an ATAPI floppy
> > > which is what I'm concerned about.
>
> Not the same thing at all. IDE/ATAPI syjet (and sparq - the reason
> syquest went under) uses the ide DISK driver, while ls120 and zip use the
> ide FLOPPY driver, at least based on the internal ATAPI sparq drive I had

what is the difference betwenn the two ?

you access it all the same, isn't it ?

i think mke2fs /dev/fd0 works, or doesn't it ?

> at one time. AFAIK SCSI doesn't differentiate the way the ATAPI standard
> does.
>
> > But it is the same thing, isn't it ? it's a big removeable media, and can be
> > threated exactly the same undrer linux. The fact that it is on the ide
> > interface or the scsi one should be transparent, you just have to open
> > /dev/hdxy, instead of /dev/sdxy.
> >
> > Why do think halway, if it can be done right ?
>
> Not halfway. We'd use partition 4 default on zips with fat FS because
> that's the "industry standard" and you should be able to read or write one
> on any OS/archetecture with native tools.

but then you would not be able to read ls120 floppies, isn't it ?

> OTOH, the installer should check the case where the zip shows as "whole
> disk" instead of partitioned, even though that seems to be something
> screwy with BIOS.

And check it also for any other device, there is no reason i should not threat
my 20 GB hd as a single big super floppy. Well i guess there are reason, but i
still should be able to do it, and then install linux on it.

Well that's how i threat my syjet cartdrige, as a big floppy.

And i remember doing the same on an older 60MB hd.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER