Re: LS120/Zip install update

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 07:34:55AM -0700, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Sven LUTHER wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 05:56:33PM -0700, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> > >
> > > The idepci kernel flavour works on my tests with a bootable zip disk.
> > >
> > > Steps:
> > >
> > > Make sure you have a single msdos/vfat partition 4 on the zip disk.
> >
> > What if i want to use the zip/ls120 as one big floppy, and not partitioning it.
>
> Can try it. One of the points is these disks (The bootable ones at least)

windows at least has option to threat removeable medias as super floppies, at
least it wanted to do so on my partitioned syjet.

anyway, what do i have use of some non linux os anyway, i just do :

mount /dev/sdb /syjet, and everything is fine ...

> want to be mountable on OSs that don't understand ext2. Plus I'd suspect
> most zip-bootable BIOS's will look specifically for partition 4 anyway
> (it's set up like that so macOS can see FAT-formatted zip disks)

maybe for the ZIPs since that is the way iomega choose stuff, not sure about
ls120 and other removeable medias.

> Plus, I've seen a few systems where the zip shows up as /dev/hdc instead
> of /dev/hdc4. Same internal ATAPI zip drive, same kernel version (2.2.14
> from the install) and same zip disk. I mean, I don't know why it does
> that.

because the zip was formated as super floppy under windows ?

> > BTW, the boot floppies know nothing of my big-floppy syjet, which is on /dev/sdb on installs.
>
> Thought the syjet was a removable media hard drive, not an ATAPI floppy
> which is what I'm concerned about.

But it is the same thing, isn't it ? it's a big removeable media, and can be
threated exactly the same undrer linux. The fact that it is on the ide
interface or the scsi one should be transparent, you just have to open
/dev/hdxy, instead of /dev/sdxy.

Why do think halway, if it can be done right ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER