Re: RFC: why are we now doing all-lang-docs for "make docs"?

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> When the release target starts copying docs, it fails because some of the
> .en docs are missing. Not sure if this is part of the release.sh or the
> all-lang-docs target.

It doesn't fail now, or shouldn't.  Or if it does, please email this
list a log of the failed build.

> Anyway, still doesn't answer my question. Why are we building all docs by
> default? Are they all installed in the release target?

They should be.

> If so, I protest. Mainly because this is going to take huge amounts of
> space. If we are going to generate all lang's for each arch, then I think
> we need to come up with a better way for doc generation (since I'de wager
> that more than 85% of the docs are not arch specific).

I protest to your protest !  :)

I don't see what the big deal is.  Sure it's a waste of some space in
that most docs are not arch-specific, but do you really think it's
better for newbies to see all the vargaries of i386 booting, alpha
booting, etc etc?  How about the section where we talking about what
files to download and install?