Re: RFC: why are we now doing all-lang-docs for "make docs"?

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 11:31:32PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Ben> Just a simple question. Why is "make docs" now building all-lang-docs
>     Ben> target? This seems such as waste since only the one lang appears to be
>     Ben> installed in "make release" and the "make check" doesn't cover everything
>     Ben> needed to generate the docs (or so it seems, since I get sgml errors).
>
>     Ben> Is this really needed?
>
>  I don't get it, Ben.  It works fine for me when I build it.  It
>  builds all of the documentation for all languages, including english.

When the release target starts copying docs, it fails because some of the
.en docs are missing. Not sure if this is part of the release.sh or the
all-lang-docs target.

Anyway, still doesn't answer my question. Why are we building all docs by
default? Are they all installed in the release target?

If so, I protest. Mainly because this is going to take huge amounts of
space. If we are going to generate all lang's for each arch, then I think
we need to come up with a better way for doc generation (since I'de wager
that more than 85% of the docs are not arch specific).

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '