Re: m68k boot-floppies

"Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> writes:

> out of curiosity, I tried to build boot-floppies for m68k. This does not
> mean, I want to maintain them for m68k, Michael Schmitz <MSchmitz@lbl.gov>
> is still listed for this, you might at least update his email...

Huh?  What means "update his email" ?

> the problems from the m68k jury:
>
> ./check_mirror.sh /debian/dists/potato/main/binary-m68k
> checking packages needed in the root disk
> Can't find package pmac-fdisk-cross
> checking packages needed in the base system
> Can't find package pciutils
> Can't find package pmac-fdisk-cross
> E: ./check_mirror.sh abort
>
> Both packages do not exist for m68k (at least on my mirror). m68k machines
> have no PCI bus (dont they? Mine doesnt, AFAIK).
> pmac==powermac? I do not even see this package for i386.

According to the documentation:

  PowerMac-aware version of <prgn>fdisk</prgn>, also used by BVM and
  Motorola VMEbus systems; read the <url id="pmac-fdisk.txt"
  name="pmac-fdisk manual page">. ]]>

It was definately available for slink.

If that's dead now or not needed or whatever, a m68k porter should
feel free to remove the pkg.

If pciutils is not available for m68k, argh, then we need to take it
out of scripts/base/PACKAGES_all and put it in all PACKAGES_<arch>
files *except* m68k.

I don't want to do this -- the m68k porters should do stuff like this
since I don't have m68k, don't know m68k, and can't distinguish
between packages which don't exist for an architecture and pkgs which
should exist but havne't been ported (probably due to an RC bug).

> I set kernel version to 2.0.36, since 2.2.10 debs are not yet officially
> availalbe for all subarches (there are debs, but at least on amiga this
> kernel does not run stable, it supports less hardware (grafics boards) than
> 2.0.36, and the users have not been giving too many comments if they are
> usable or not. I am not sure if we ever get suitable 2.2. debs for m68k).

Yuck.  You poor guys.  Well, again, a porter should update the
top-level makefile and send us patches or commit them.

> ./rescue.sh atari /debian/dists/potato/main/binary-m68k/base/kernel-image-2.0.36-atari_2.0.36-1.deb rootatari.bin 720 2.2 atari C
> I: making loop filesystem in /tmp/fimgvrscim, size 720k
> 720+0 records in
> 720+0 records out
> I: formatting and conditioning the new image
> ./rescue.sh: mkdosfs: command not found
> E: ./rescue.sh abort
>
> I had to apt-get install dosfstools, should it be listed as dependency?

No, because only some arches use this, thus we can't list it as a
depenancy.  But it *should* be added to the arch-specific 'make check'
dependancy checking in the top-level makefile.

I've added that.  It was already checked for powerpc.

> I: installing atari bootloader
> cp: m68k-specials/bootstra.ttp: No such file or directory
> E: ./rescue.sh abort
> make[1]: *** [resc720atari.bin] Error 1
>
> Maybe I should look at Michaels files, this is not included in the
> boot-files deb, so I tried building without atari support.

I don't know what the deal is exactly.  Michael had to do some manual
stuff, that is, I don't think it was possible for slink to build
boot-floppies only using materials from the debian archive. It
reuqired some, uh, undocumented (I think) manual stuff.

> I: determining set of required libraries
> E: the following required libraries weren't extracted: /lib/libncurses.so.5 /lib/libreadline.so.4
> E: ./rootdisk.sh abort
> make[1]: *** [rootamiga.bin] Error 255
>
> fin. Why is this? I do have both libraries, they are installed and all is
> well. Why werent they extracted? From where? Can it be due to my 2.0.36
> kernel (not that a kernel should contain/depend on libncurses/readline).

I don't know exactly.  It doesn't happen on other arches.  Maybe you
do not have those packages listed as required for rootdisk (see
scripts/rootdisk).