Re: MegaRAID under potato

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 03:59:21PM -0600, Hecubus wrote:
> > I've been trying to run the install for Debian potato (frozen) on
> > a Dell PowerEdge 4400, but it won't recognize the installed Dell
> > PERC2/DC (AMI MegaRAID) controller.

> That RAID controller is not supported by Linux kernel, so compiling
> your own does not help. If you want it now, change the controller to
> PERC 2/SC, the single channel PERC is supported and works (I have it).

Yesterday, things got weirder.

Yesterday, I booted it from the original slink release CD, which had no
difficulty recognizing the logical drive, installing upon it, and booting
from it. No, it doesn't make any sense to me why an unmodified 2.0.36
kernel under slink had absolutely no problem with it, while 2.2.13 and
2.2.14 under potato just sat there staring into space.

But I need to install Lotus Domino on this system, so I have to tempt fate
and rebuild a 2.2.x kernel so it will actually run. Oh, and it's a dual
processor P3/733 Xeon system, so I really need to be running 2.2.x. for
functional SMP.