Re: MegaRAID under potato

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 03:59:21PM -0600, Hecubus wrote:
> I've been trying to run the install for Debian potato (frozen) on a Dell
> PowerEdge 4400, but it won't recognize the installed Dell PERC2/DC (AMI
> MegaRAID) controller. I've even gone so far as to recompile my own kernel
> and configure it onto the rescue disk, but to no avail.
>
> It boots - listing nothing under the megaraid kernel prompt - and denies
> the existance of a fixed disk when an attempt is made to partition. The
> RAID is configured and DOS recognizes the logical partition without the
> use of anything special.
>
> Any hints? Condolences?

That RAID controller is not supported by Linux kernel, so compiling
your own does not help. If you want it now, change the controller to
PERC 2/SC, the single channel PERC is supported and works (I have it).

However, Dell promised the drivers for that controller and other
advanced RAID controllers in Dell servers to be available by the
middle of March. I checked Dell website yesterday, they were not
there. These drivers are rumored to be written by Adaptec itself, but
their website has no info.

So either get the PERC 2/SC RAID controller, or wait until the new
drivers are available. This may take a long time still, nobody knows.