Re: looking over base -- pkgs to remove from it

On Wed Mar 15, 2000 at 11:23:10AM +0100, Petr Cech wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 09:50:11AM +0000 , bug1 wrote:
> >
> > Is there a reason that the most of contents of the root disk is also in
> > the base, on the surface this seems like unnecessary duplication, could
> > the files be copied from the root disk to the install media rather than
> > being copied from the base.tgz, it would save 900KB or so. Im sure this
> > has been considered before, what have i overlooked?
>
> I don't think it will be 900kB. You definitely don't want to use libc6 from
> root. Most command are from busybox ...
>
> So I don't think it's worth it.

Agreed.  The stuff on the root disk is not duplicated, but is stripped down
mini utils.  You don't want to use those for your daily work since they lack
all the GNU goodies like color syntax highlighting and 63 other bizarre and
twisty options per app.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/