Re: rootdisk using romfs

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 04:13:27PM +0000, bug1 wrote:
> Well, the floppy disks themselves arent used as the root filesystem (im
> pretty sure), so they dont have to be writetable, anything stored on
> them can be read only.

The rootdisk per se is not used as root fs, but the filesystem image on
it is uncompressed and copied into the ramdisk device, where it is then
used as the root system.  There's not provision for it being recopied
into some writable format.  (Romfs is inherently read-only by design.)

> I was thinking of woody

Well, basically I was making the point that a romfs root image would by
no means be a simple, 'drop-in' item.  The way the system starts up
would beed significant changes.  I think there were previous discussions
having to do with live filesystems on CD that would shed some light on
the changes needed to run with a read-only root; you can find them
somewhere in the debian-boot archives.

--
James Deikun, Techie(tm), CSI Multimedia
The opinions expressed &c.