Re: More on the release.sh breakage; padding disk images

    Daniel> Actually, I believe we DO need to pad the disks - bear in mind that
    Daniel> they are meant as much for use with MacOS DiskCopy as with straight dd.
    Daniel> DiskCopy tends to be pickier about such things.

Here's another reason why it might be nice to pad *all* the disk
images (i.e., all those that are smaller than a full floppy): the
current release of VMware (2.0) chokes when reading from an image that
is smaller than it expects.  For example, I regularly install from
boot floppies, but have to append some zeroes to drv14-3.bin, because
it is always less than 1474560 bytes.  (If I don't append the zeroes,
I get an error message when the installation system reads from that
disk.)  This is arguably a bug in VMware, but it would make my life
easier if I didn't have to append the zeroes myself.

(I've told VMware about the problem, and an engineer responded, saying
he saw my point, and is considering allowing VMware to be happy with
smaller-than-expected images.)

If you're wondering what the heck VMware is: it's a nifty PC
emulator.  I install Debian on it, instead of on my real machine, so
that I don't have to be rebooting my real machine all the time.  Works
remarkably well.  http://www.vmare.com