Re: Why the boot-floppies are taking so long.

    Adam> karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:
    >> I refer you to: <URL:http://master.debian.org/~karlheg/crock.png>
    >> for a look at the definition of `crock'.
    >>
    >> Trying to parse filenames to determine where to move files to is
    >> really bogus.  If we can name the files like that to begin with, we
    >> can put them where they go to begin with.

    Adam> Of course its a crock.  Why are you suprised?

    >> That's my prescription for `boot-floppies'.

    Adam> I don't necessarily disagree, if we can get it down quickly.  We
    Adam> should be able to just change the make rules or something, no, to do
    Adam> this... *sigh*....

 Yes, that's the similar line of thought that I followed.  Will yous
 please run a checkout of `br_woody_exp' in another directory and look
 over what I've started there?  There are some notes and ramblings in
 "rules-notes.txt".  Feel free to add to that if you like.

 I'm sorry about the "mess" I made in `release.sh'...  What do yous
 think we should do with that all?  It will (in theory; the code has
 never been run) create the correct directory structure.  The `awk'
 script I began (first one I've ever written; like Bugs Bunny in the
 airplane, I'm reading "How to Awk" as I go along) is (half) planned
 to split the file name apart into the components from the table in
 the comment above it, and then print out a `mv' command or whatever
 it takes to do the thing that needs to be done with the file.
 (That's why it's wrapped in an `eval'.)

 For that klugearoni to work, (it has to be finished first obviously)
 the Makefile and scripts will need to write the files with the name
 syntax the script expects...  But if we've got to change all the
 names in the scripts, why not make them put things where they go to
 begin with... though that may be more work than just changing the
 names of files.

 I need help with this, I think.  Anyone _see_ a better "right now"
 solution?  (that doesn't require renaming the files output by Make or
 the scripts?)

 I've never even READ an Awk script before.  Can someone finish the
 one I started in less time than it will take me to do it, learning
 Awk as I go?  Whatever it takes; if you've got the experience and can
 finish it faster than I can, you'd better do it.  My time for this is
 limited this week unless somebody mails me a check.

 Please, if you have not already done so, look in
 "utilities/dbootstrap/main.c:setup_image_filenames()" to see how the
 installer forms the location and names of the files it looks for.