Re: [CVS] `br_woody_exp' created, I'm a GNU rewrite the Makefiles.

    Michael> On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 07:22:20PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
    Michael> Hmm...  I have a question for you. :)  I thought that branches are for
    Michael> supporting old versions...  While trunk is for "bleeding edge" stuff.
    Michael> I'd say that if you want to start to work on woody's boot floppies,
    Michael> you'd better create a branch for *potato*.
    >>
    Michael> What do you think?
    >>
    >> Read what I wrote again, please.

    Michael> I did. :)  Maybe I was not clear enough. :)  To my mind, any *woody* branches
    Michael> should appear only after woody is released.  Just having a
    Michael> something-woody-something branch may be a bit confusing.  I had a rather
    Michael> *ideological* question.  Time to time, names do matter, and I believe this is
    Michael> the case here.  If you had certain ideas behind creating a new branch (like
    Michael> what we see in subject line), IMHO, it were better to name the branch something
    Michael> like makefile_rewriting. :)

 The branch is clearly named "br_woody_exp".  `br_' indicates that it
 is a branch tag, not a version tag. `woody' indicates that it is
 intended for later merge to trunk, after Potato is branched and
 released. ("br_potato_rel") `_exp' indicates that this is an
 "experiment" branch; for lack of a better suffix I used the "status"
 named by the RCS manuals... the string that shows up in the RCS $Id$.

 More might happen in here than mere makefile rewriting before we roll
 Potato out the door and branch Woody.  As I look over things in the
 current trunk revision, I get ideas about how it ought to be changed,
 and either note them or begin to transform the ideas into code in the
 br_woody_exp branch.  It's better to form a branch and commit my work
 than potentially lose it all to a drive crash or whatever... and I'd
 rather others could see what I've begun and either help out or
 complain a little about the way I'm actually working on the code.