Re: bootfloppies with new libc

Please do not just email me -- the proper address to email these
issues is debian-boot@lists.debian.org.

>the mklibs.sh in the bootfloppies package is in need of an upgrade to
>libc-2.1.3:
>
>in line 523 '2.1.2' needs to be changed to 2.1.3, so it works with the
>up to date libc.

I think you must be using 2.2.7.  This has been fixed in CVS I
believe, where that line reads:

  if [ "x$1" = "xlibc-2.1.2.so" -o "x$1" = "xlibc-2.1.3.so" ] ; then

>What about the libs that do not come with '-pic.a'-files? only few have
>some.

They don't get reduced.

>When I run mklibs.sh now, it fails to make a minimal libc-2.1.3:
>
>/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/,mklibs.25128/lib-so: undefined versioned symbol name
>sys_siglist@@GLIBC_2.1
>/usr/bin/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad value
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>/home/andreas/lrp/devel/router/bin/mklibs.sh: install-small-lib: gcc or
>objcopy failed.

>I tried to track down this sys_siglist@@GLIBC_2.1 -symbol, but my lowlevel
>library-knowledge failed me.

Hmm... seems to work over here.

Try working out of CVS and see if you still have a problem.
Instructions enclosed.

 You can access the boot-floppies using CVS; this is particularly
 useful if you are actively working on the package.

 CVS comes with excellent documentation; in particular, see the `cvs'
 info pages, and "Open Source Development with CVS", a GPL book freely
 available online, at <URL:http://cvsbook.red-bean.com>.  (There is a
 Debian package of it, called "cvsbook".)  It is highly recommend, if
 you are an emacsen user, that you use the excellent `pcl-cvs' mode
 interface.  If you are a `vi' user, please try one of the emacsen in
 `vi' emulation mode, and see if you like it.  You can have the best
 of both worlds.

 There are various ways to access the CVS repository for the `boot-
 floppies', depending on your circumstances.  However, once you've set
 up your CVSROOT variable properly, all the access methods behave
 pretty much identically.

 There is a `cvsweb' interface, which is great for browsing the commit
 logs, pulling diffs from the repository, and getting a good look at
 the layout of the module.  It can be accessed via:
 <URL:http://cvs.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb>.

 The following are POSIX bourne shell commands you can run to get the
 CVS area; other shell users should be able to translate to their
 shell language easily.  Commands with a `#' are comments; you don't
 have to type those.

   # If you are logged into to cvs.debian.org (CNAME va.debian.org):
   export CVSROOT=/cvs/debian-boot

   # If you are using `ssh' to access the area, and you have an
   # account on cvs.debian.org -- this is the recommended method:
   export CVS_RSH=ssh
   export CVSROOT=:ext:<MY-USERNAME>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot

   # If you are using anonymous (readonly) access:
   export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot
   cvs login
   # You will be prompted for a password -- just hit `Enter'.

   # If you are using a pserver account (i.e., you need write access
   # but do not have a login account, and you have been given a
   # pserver username and password):
   export CVSROOT=:pserver:<USERNAME>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot
   cvs login
   # Enter the password you have been given.

 After that, all techniques are the same.  Simply check out the
 sources.  For the lastest (possibly unstable) version, do:

   cvs co boot-floppies

 For the slink CVS branch, which is probably what you are using if you
 are working on translating slink documentation:

   cvs co -r adam-boot-floppies_2-1_branch boot-floppies

 From there, you can use `cvs update', `cvs commit', `cvs diff', and
 `cvs status'. -- see the info pages.  If you do not have write access
 to the repository, and have made modifications that you would like us
 to incorporate, please mail the `cvs diff -u' along with appropriate
 ChangeLog entries with a brief description of what the patch does to
 <URL:mailto:debian-boot@lists.debian.org>.  It is helpful if you put
 "[patch]" in the subject line.

 Please try to make meaningful commit log entries that describe
 something fairly specific about what changes you have made.  It is
 best to commit one file at a time, or group them logically, so that
 modifications to several files that pertain to fixing one particular
 bug or add a certain feature contain a log message that is relevant
 for that file, without cruft about unrelated changes to unrelated
 files.  A massive commit of 15 files with a common log entry that
 says "blah changes that fix bugs, C-u M-! fortune" are not very
 useful later on when you are trying to find out when a certain change
 happened.  The log entry should describe what's been changed, so that
 later on maintainers do not have to parse every single diff to find
 one simple modification.  You should be able to scan the log and
 narrow down the search based on what's written there.  There is a
 good discussion of this in the GNU `Standards' info document, under
 "Documenting Programs", "Change Logs".  `Standards' is considered
 required reading.