Re: Uploaded boot-floppies 2.2.6 (source all) to master

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> >> Right.
> >
> >Is this going to be fixed for the release (the way we have previously
> >discussed), or will it get left this way until after the 2.2 release?
>
> I am not sure.   I depends on (a) what priority it really is, and (b)
> how easy fixing it is.

I'm not sure you should consider me an advocate. My main intent is to be
able to get the content of my book correct in this reguard.

However, as a member of the Debian Project, I have some interest in having
the most useful installation possible.

I'll not try to set (a), but will try to provide reasons to set it higher
than you currently might.

(b) seems pretty clear from my POV. The code for both "items" exists and
is complete. The only thing that must change is the threading of the
various dialog boxes that already exist ... i.e. some code logic. To the
person who maintains this bit of code, I can't imagine it is more than a
few minutes work, once the new logic is decided and understood. To someone
like myself, it might take an hour or two to figure out just how to
make it work right.

> Can you help with (a) by explaining why *for* *installation* you need
> both eth and ppp networks setup?  Keep in mind that general network
> setup per se is outside the scope of boot-floppies; we only care about
> getting "just enough" so folks can install.

Well, if you insist on a strict interpretation of your last statement, I'm
not sure I can convince you.

I would suggest that the main reason I support doing both is that it makes
the install more flexible, and doesn't block alternatives yet unimagined.

While "general network setup" is outside the scope of the boot-floppies,
it is also outside the scope of any other package, as best I can tell.
Getting the fundamental pieces of the network set up at install time is
very valuable to the resulting system, even if it has no particular
bearing on the actuall installation of packages. Since the installation
scripts are capable of providing this setup, why cripple it? Doing both
steps can't be as hard as the logic to choose which one to do in any given
situation.

In any case, consider these two possible scenerios:

  A. I keep all my "non-us" packages in a directory in /usr/local, and
would find it useful have those files on another node of my LAN when I do
a fresh install on the "gateway" machine. If I could configure both the
LAN and the PPP connection, then I could point dselect at the LAN's non-us
archives, and use the PPP connection to get main from ftp.debian.org,
doing a complete install in one step.

  B. I have a set of "private" packages that are held on a machine on the
LAN, which I need to install right after the base system, in order the get
some subsystem working before I continue the full installation. Having
both the LAN and the PPP connection configured would make this possible.

If this isn't enough to sway you, then decide to leave it alone, and let
me know of that decission, so I can get the install description correct in
the book.

Thanks for all the help,

Dwarf