REPORT: Potato 2.2.7 install on 486/VLB

Trying to install potato with bootdisks 2.2.7-2000-02-13
I have copy of potato from Feb 28.

Bootdisks OK.  Only one problem: I want to have small root.
Everything else goes to usr.  There is not enough space for var in root
and i forgot to move and link var to usr/var.

Selections from Installation Main Menu:

Install Operating System Kernel and Modules
  harddisk
    - i chose correct partition (hdc8) from list
    - choosing path:
      default value for path is '/debian'
      '/' in it confused me. Perhaps string should have two parts
      '/instmnt/' and 'debian'  User could modify only later.
      (/debian makes sence if installing from user mounted fs.)

Then:

Failed to fetch something from non-US

This was easy to fix:
cd non-US/dists
rm frozen
ln -s potato/non-US frozen

But later i found out that dselect wants frozen link to point to
potato (as it was).

Then i wasted some time to carefully select packages i want to
install. (Simple method)  Everything looked fine, but:
dpkg: unexpected data after package and selection at line 1

Even shell died. I had to login again.

Perhaps dselect is better:
(Again changing link frozen in non-US/dists)
selection ok but installation doesn't even start:

debconf: Perl may be unconfigured (Can't locate Getopt/Long.pm in @INC
(@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.005
/usr/local/lib/site_ perl/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5 .) at (eval 1) line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 1) line 3.
) -- aborting
E: Write error - write (32 Broken pipe)
E: Failure running script dpkg-preconfigure --apt

installation script returned error exit status 100.
Press <enter> to continue.

I tried again leaving non-US out and moving var to usr early.  Same
result.

- Jukka