Re: Proposed directory structure for the installation "disks"

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>  Do you want the images directories under the flavor directories
>  instead, like this?  What does everyone else think?  Does it seem
>  more organized or more intuitive this way, or the other way?
>
>  base2_2.tgz
>  standard/
>    drivers.tgz
>    root.bin    # Only if we can't have one root.bin for ALL flavors.
>    linux
>    install.bat
>    images-1.20/
>    images-1.44/
>    images-2.88/
>  flavorA/

That's more or less what I had in mind.

I've done a little playing around with symlinks, and I must say I'm quite
happy with the result. You can see my "proposed structure" for 2.2.7 at:

  http://www.uk.debian.org/~costar/bootdisks/disks-test/

The webserver "forgets" README* files, so I've used xREADME where
appropriate.

The structure that the webserver shows is as can be found on CDs (hardlinks),
the actual structure with symlinks (as found on FTP mirrors) is shown in the
ls-lR.txt file.

The top-level xREADME.txt file explains a few things, but I think this
structure is very easy to understand for newbies.

Only one question: how does the installation program behave when there are
multiple copies of drivers.tgz, base2_2.tgz around (on CD or FTP/HTTP)? Maybe
there should be some "filtering" to only show standard/cdrom/ or so when
necessary.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer