Re: MILO size problems

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 10:35:35AM -0500, David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but it's not possible to build
> rescue disks containing both MILO and a 2.2 kernel with the latest
> version of MILO (which contains the 8086 emulation code that's needed
> to initialize the VGA on many/most Alphas)

Yeah, I noticed it too. But it's pretty close to being possible ;-)
We've got a couple of parameters to play around with when building
another set of 2.2.14 kernels, e.g. leave out the two raid drivers I
included (actually I don't even know if they work on Alphas).

> Because we *need* to ship that version of MILO, I fear we'll have to
> can of course make them significantly smaller than 1.4M :)

If we can't tweak our kernels to fit we've got to go that road.

> I've been updating the documentation to point out that MILO is not
> available for new Alphas, can't be installed automatically by
> dbootstrap, and is generally deprecated for use on any machines except
> those that cannot use SRM firmware now that Compaq has made SRM
> updates available for nearly all platforms.

Updates to the docs. Fabulous. Also great work on the fdisk issues, David.

> Also, remember that we'll also have to ship the MILO binaries "loose"
> on the CD in order to enable installing from CD using MILO.

Right.

> I'm of half a mind to not ship disk images of MILO+linload, because if
> people can write disk images, they can certainly copy two files onto a
> FAT formatted floppy.  And we should make clear that you should only
> use MILO if you *cannot* switch to SRM firmware.
>
> Are you in agreement?  I can devise a solution today if need be.

Is there anywhere a document on the current status of SRMs for the
different subarchs ? Which platforms are still depending on MILOs ?

> One other thing to mention: if we are going to provide
> subarch-specific kernels (the only machine that really needs this in
> order to boot is Jensen), then we should also provide kernel disks for
> DP264 and Nautilus, particularly since I've added them to the list of
> subarchitectures in the documentation :)
>
> I'll build some new 2.2.14 kernel images soon if I don't hear back
> from the maintainer.

The 2.2.14 alpha images were built by myself because Herbert didn't
build them for quite some time after the i386 release. DP264, Nautilus
and book1 didn't compile so we left them out. Like I said above
there's ample room for experimentation to fit the kernels on the
floppies.

Thanks for your great work and let me know how'll you proceed.

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de