Re: installation of `standard' packages comes as a surprise

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 10:39:38AM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> > It's *very* frustrating to do an install from tasksel and find that
> > you don't have things like file, cron, or exim installed.
>
> Installs from tasksel already select important packages. This includes cron
> and exim. Perhaps file should be important. Remember, the definition of
> important is "Important programs, including those which one would expect to
> find on any Unix-like system. If the expectation is that an experienced Unix
> person who found it missing would say `What the F*!@<+ is going on, where is
> `foo'', it must be in `important'."

In my testing, I've noticed you get different "standard" selections by
dselect depending on whether you have "debconf-tiny" or "debconf" installed
at the first invocation of dselect update.

eg: debconf-tiny is installed as part of the base-disks. If I tell dselect
to update then go into the selection screen, I see that exim, cron, mutt
and a few other "standard" packages are not selected.

If however, I manually remove debconf-tiny before telling dselect to update
then I get all the standard packages selected, including debconf (not
debconf-tiny)

This seems like an issue for 'packages that depend on debconf' and dselect.
A cursory glance revealed that libopenldap-runtime depends on debconf. Exim
depends on libopenldap1. Maybe there's something whacked going on there.

BTW, what is one supposed to do after the initial install WRT debconf-tiny
and debconf? As I mentioned, I've been manually removing debconf-tiny which
allows debconf to get installed automatically. Doesn't seem like an ideal
scenario for newbies.

		Greg