Re: Memory allocation error AFTER Fips has finished

tmptmp wrote:

> I'm installing Debian on an ibm thinkpad and dividing my hard
> drive in order to keep my DOS OS. I have two questions
>
> FIRST: Fips is fine from a:floppy until after "Bye!" when I get
> the following two lines.
>
>    Memory allocation error
>    Cannot load COMMAND, system halted
>
> The computer is then frozen but if its turned off and turned back
> on the hard drive is split correctly. Does that message mean
> anything?

I havent used FIPS for ages myself, fsresize can resize dos partitions
non-destructivly.
fsresize has a debian package in potato, im not sure if its in slink
though, you can always find it by looking on freshmeat.net

> SECOND: The Debian I'm working with came with a book which says in order
> to boot from the floppy drive I need TWO floppy disks,
>
> - One to boot with -instructions how to make that disk are there and good
> - The second to load drivers.
>
> There are no instructions how to make the second a floppy.
>
> How do how to make it (I want to install from the floppy
> drive for the moment)?

The first disk is normally called the rescue disk and contains the
kernel, the second disk is usually called the root disk, it contains the
root filsystem and installer.

to make the disks you have to obtain the image and then use rawrite
under dos.

e.g rawrite rescue.bin
    rawrite root.bin

Install instructions for slink are here
http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install

You could also try the latest boot floppies if you wanted to install
potato, there at
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/

Good luck
Glenn McGrath