How to build a base/drivers only CD?

Forgive me for asking what seems like a basic question.  I have already
tried to find this answer elsewhere, but have not had any luck.
If this question has a simple answer that someone can refer me to,
I'd appreciate it.  It also strikes me that this might not be the proper
forum to ask this question.  Again, kindly redirect me if I've made an
error.

Anyway, here's the question:

I seem to have three choices when downloading the necessary files for
building a debian system.  They are:

	a) Download 15 floppy images and dd them, one by one, to 15
	   different floppies.	Boot off of those floppies.  This will
	   install the base and drivers packages.  Configure apt and
	   download the rest from the net.

	b) Go through the process described at http://cdimage.debian.org
	   to create several 600MB+ cd images.  Boot off of those CDs.
	   This will install the base package as well as the rest of
	   the distribution.

	c) Download the base and drivers packages along with a loadlin.exe
	   file and install all of the appropriate drivers into a DOS based
	   OS.  Install from this system.

What I'm trying to do is a combination of the above.  I'd like to download
the base and drivers packages, just enough data so that I can get the
rest from the net.  This would be just like option A above, except on
a single CDROM instead of 15 floppies.  I don't have DOS anywhere, so I
can't use option C, and besides, linux has the ability to read ATAPI
cdroms, I shouldn't have to depend on DOS to do this.  It seems to me that
I *should* be able to build a bootable cdrom with only the kernel, the base
package and the drivers package, and have enough data to install the rest
from the net (God bless cable modems!).

Can this be done?  If so, how?

I'm tempted to make a cd like this:

	/boot/resc1440.bin
	/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/2.2.7-2000-02-13/
	/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current -> 2.2.7-2000-02-13

And populate that disks-i386 directory with the contents of the
current boot disks, which conveniently enough includes base and drivers.
/boot/resc1440.bin will be burned into the bootable section of the CDROM
so that it gets booted.  It strikes me that this has a chance at working
if the 2.2 boot process is at all similar to the 2.1 boot process,
which asked you where to get the drivers and base packges.

Like I said, if there's a reference to this and I just missed it, my humble
apologies.  Will you please refer me to it?  If not, is there such a
process, and can someone please relay it to me.

Thanks in advance.
- Mark