Re: Alpha issues (SRM installation)

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 11:41:43AM -0500, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 12:19:44AM +0100, Christian Meder wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 07:38:01PM -0500, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've been doing a few things to make installing Debian on Alphas that boot
> > > from SRM firmware a bit more pleasant, and I'm wondering about how to
> > > proceed with a few things.
> >
> > Hey, that's great. I checked in our alpha subarch stuff (it's just really
> > the old stuff a bit cleaned up) in CVS this afternoon. The next TODO items
> > for Alpha are:
> >
> > * fixing the alphaspecific bootfloppies bugs
>
> Which ones are these again (aside from usability issues like selecting the
> correct fdisk and boot method)

I haven't thought of any specific problems just the ones that will pop up
inevitably.

> > * boot from CDROM
>
> Do we have potato CD scripts (for any architecture) yet?  Who is working on
> this?

They are in the debian-cd package in contrib/admin. I've got the patches
Loic used to make the slink Alpha CD bootable. I'll send them to you
in a separate email.

> > * update the Alpha documentation
>
> Yes - I think I can do this.  This is probably the most important thing, as
> slink's documentation was nearly useless...

Take a look at the README in debian/dists/stable/main/disks-alpha/README.
It's pretty good but unfortunately hard to find and not in the usual format.
If you'd update the docs that would be great. Perhaps take a look at the
README first.

> > If you're tackling the second issue that would be great. Could you discuss
> > your ideas with Flynn Marquardt <flynn@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> ? He's done
> > a lot of work and testing with our Alpha boot-floppies setup and has got a
> > couple of ideas for the boot issues too.
>
> I've Cc:'ed him - the code that I've got so far is in
> utilities/dbootstrap/bootconfig.c, utilities/dbootstrap/partition_config.c,
> and utilities/dbootstrap/main.c (where the SRM/MILO detection should go -
> it's not there yet, and just defaults to SRM :)

Cool. Nikita suggested to look in the /proc/cpuinfo entries to detect
MILO.

Greetings,

				Christian
--