Re: Contributing to the Developement of Debian Installation Program

There was a thread a few weeks ago about the future direction of boot
floppies.
In case you missed it, it starts here, worth a read
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-boot-0002/msg00362.html

One of the things brought up is that it would be good to become more
modular. So if you wanted to work on one particular aspect of the
install say, an X based install, or only wanting to install from CD,
then you can use only the modules you want. Or only work on the area you
want.

I think the biggest a kernel can get is aprox. 1MB

A good base filesystem for floppies is romfs, the 2.3.x kernels appear
to support compressed romfs also.
Python, seems like a pretty cool language, ive been playing around with
it trying to rewrite genromfs, damn i wish i was a better programmer
though, theres always a hurdle to get over.

There has been some talk previously (6 months ago?) about a debian live
filesysytem, dunno what happened though. A working loop filesystem would
also be a good way for newbies to try a new distro from the comfort of
there native OS (windows).

I think it is important to try and all work together. Even if some of us
have some different goals we can all still share our common goals, as
ESR says in The cathedral and the bazzar, "A rising tide lifts all
boats".

To save yourself work, you would be best trying to isolate exactly what
your needs are that differ from others and concentrate on that area.

Have fun

Glenn McGrath